Doctoral studies in networked learning relate to practice?

These questions and issues lead us to consider:

To what extent or why should a doctoral study in networked learning relate to practice?

I am probably going off topic but would welcome some comments. Long ago ( more than ten years) I started with Management Theory At Work, a conference that included practitioners as well as academics. There were only two though I have contributed to starting a third online version - #mtw3 but this is even further off topic.

Management Learning seems to have morphed into Leadership. This seems to avoid too much complexity around systems. The location in Lancaster for Networked Learning has moved into Education but the Business School aspect is still in background presumably.

Meanwhile at BETT last week there was “EdTech” on the BETT Futures stage. There was Leadership for HE and FE but these were closed to the general visitor. Sometimes I think that leadership is another word for senior management, just a bit more secretive than usual. Is there going to be organisational change in HE and FE? How is this described if it was a subject?

More or less back on topic, is there a lens for this as networked learning?

Thanks for your post. I wonder if this report starts to unpick some of the questions you raise: http://www.lfhe.ac.uk/en/research-resources/published-research/research-by-theme/leadership-in-practice/in-the-wings-and-backstage-exploring-the-micropolitics-of-leadership-in-higher-education.cfm. The arena of networked learning and leadership is an interesting one … in the context of virtual universities perhaps … maybe others have thoughts, comments, or ideas around this one too.

Thanks for this. I will check out the link later ( my registration is slow so I might have to ask for help from someone already signed in). Meanwhile I would like to ask about any research happening around Design Science.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1467-8551.12001/abstract;jsessionid=DEEDC6C72C10DE55796E3C92FA8F0AAF.f04t03

here it is as management

here as teaching

but is it the same thing? Would you design a university from scratch? More likely a virtual university starts as something else, already existing.

Thanks,
I think your comment on how virtual universities might be conceived is a very interesting point (or set of related points maybe!). Can we conceive what we have no experience of? Who is doing the conceiving, and on what bases are they founded? I think this sparks lots of questions - do you think we have deep insights into these at the moment? From a management perspective and how this relates to teaching and pedagogy perspectives?

“No experience” maybe but there are some clear signs. The OU closed some regional centres and put more money into Futurelearn. So this could be a reasonable case study.

Comments on this would be very welcome. I realise my trade show blog approach is a bit off topic but the research agenda must relate at some point. At BETT last week Futurelearn was in the Futures area. I guess some slides from the HE Leaders will turn up soon.

Thanks for your useful perspectives. I think this is a very interesting area - widely open for studies.